RCU Forums - View Single Post - Mission Impossible? Putting a pattern plane on a diet?
Old 08-24-2008, 05:34 PM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mission Impossible? Putting a pattern plane on a diet?

You going up to Bill Mitchell's contest? I plan on going up Friday morning.

My Proline is under weight. Just changing the battery and removing the lead in the nose did that. I took almost 1/2 a pound off it with just those two things. I just came in from flying and I can tell the nose weight is gone. I had to add a few percent to the mixes and all is well again. The airplane still flies much better than I can guide it.

When you flew it, it weighed 10-10 and you noticed the slight push to the gear with rudder input, I've been playing around with it awhile now and never really knew how much weight I'd added to it.

I've been playing around with Byran Herbet's triangle trimming method and I can tell you he's 100% correct. During this process is where most of that extra weight came from. I was doing it the easy way by just adding dead weight to the nose.

I think by adding the header tank I can get all the mixes out of the airplane. Do I need to? Not really, I just see it as a challenge.

I still struggle with the wings level push/pull thingy too much at this point to worry about a slight push to the belly. In Advance we're not in knife edge enough to really worry about it IMHO. At some point you have to stop trimming and just fly the airplane.

Given the fact most pattern planes tend to come out tail heavy I wonder why the designers don't just move the wing back .5"-.75". I know that was the hot tip on the Eclipse. I've seen it done on a Genisis and a few others. Works well.

Tim