RCU Forums - View Single Post - CMP BF109F BUILDING THREAD
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2008, 12:09 PM
KentuckyColonel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CMP BF109F BUILDING THREAD

ORIGINAL: dragonfly60

ORIGINAL: Evil_Merlin

Over my dead body. Anything over .60's and you are paying an arm and a leg. Going electric in a large scale bird, you may as well go turbine cause you are dropping a heck of a lot of dosh on it.

Get me the electrics needed to power my:

Meister Fw 190 D9
Ziroli Stuka
Romain Research MiG-3

and then remember my Zenoah G62's cost me around $400, and the GT-80 under $700 brand new. And with each I can fly till my batteries in the radio go dead.

Can't do that with Electrics.

Evil-Merlin,
You would be amazed how easily these conversion can be done, and even more to the point..how CHEAP!! The same setup being used in the RCGroup thread can be done for WELL UNDER $400!! I always have a spare set of batteries as well and can fly fo 15- 20 min each(and could use the same batteries in all those models you mentioned), and charge one as I am flying the other...no mess, no trouble starting, just plug in and fly and NEVER have to say " DEADSTICK LANDING" again!!!! Electrics....ya either love 'em or hate 'em, but there are a lot of good points to consider on the Sparkies side.....GAS...er..well they sound good[] LOL Oh and for the record I am putting a gas motor in my 109.

Cheers, Paul.
I have to agree with Evil-Merlin on this one. The cost of the batteries alone is what got me out of electric and into fuel. I like the aspect of a clean machine, it would be nice to be able to have no worries about cutting a cowl, etc. But, it will indeed cost an arm and a leg. Granted battery costs are going down a little, but still..... As far as no dead sticks??? My buddy just crashed his CMP P-40, not a reliable plane to begin with (I warned him). He converted it to electric. Started off nice. I even thought, "Man, maybe one will finally stay in the air". Then, the cowl dropped off, then the engine started to make a noise, actually the spinner hitting the firewall, then the motor stopped (overheated ESC), then the dreaded dead stick on a plane that we all know can't fly anyway, then the tip-stall, then the cartwheel across the deck.......
By the way Kahlog.....great job on the conversion. Mind you, I am not a die hard anti electric guy....I just can't fork out 3-400 bucks on a battery