RCU Forums - View Single Post - Northstar mods - Tell me what you think
Old 09-03-2008, 12:43 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Northstar mods - Tell me what you think

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

What I find interesting is:

Since my Northstar is second-hand, I guessed at the CG. It flew great, but it was about 1 1/2" behind where it should have been. Last night I added about 3oz of lead to the nose. The CG was still back from where it should be, but it flew well in the other location. so I knew I was safe.

The wing rocking disappeared, but it was so sluggish in the pitch axis that I eventually removed 2 of the 3 ounces of lead.

The wing rocking has subsided a bit, but it's much more responsive in the pitch axis. But like my first Northstar, it could still be more responsive to elevator input.

I am thinking (like I wanted to do on my first one) about adding a canard to the front to give that big nose some lift.
How hard do you think it would be to install a canard like you ae talking about? I have seen the picture you made in the other thread, and it looked COOL!!!! How about a pivoting canard, ala the TF Arrow II stab; with an adjustable incedence on the LE? It could be fastened with screws, but loosened and readjusted if need be. If a guy can figure where to put the canard in relation to the thrust line, at least he would have micro adjustment capability with the adjustable incedence. Once that is established, it could be sealed for water.

Hell, if a guy built it like the TF Arrow II stab, with bearings (needs weight in the nose anyway!), you could control the pitch of the canard with another servo (again, needs weight! let's make it USABLE). It could be mixed with throttle or whatever to counteract pitch probems, etc. OR!!! Mixed to a knob!!! There's a ton of room in the nose of the North*. Why not use it up and avoid dead lead?

What do you guys think? I'd be willing to mothball mine, or maybe even be a gunea pig. But I know NOTHING about canards.