RCU Forums - View Single Post - Latest jet- The Vortex 32
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2008, 06:03 PM
Rube Goldberg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Latest jet- The Vortex 32

Ok it's been a week or so since I've done anything with the glow powered Vortex 32 conversion. I finally received the 90 degree exhaust adapter for an OS LA 40/46 engine from Tower Hobbies, and I've cut a new firewall that fits about an inch and a half or so in front of the original firewall.
I think the logical thing to do at this point is a quick check of how much weight we're going to need in the nose of the fuselage to acheive the proper CG of the entire model. Given that my electric version of the Vortex 32 is flying fine at the suggested CG, what I plan on doing is removing the tail, the booms and the wings from the electric model. After all this is removed, I am going to install the Lipo batteries in their proper position and then find the CG of the fuselage itself. We'll mark that point and then with the new fuselage with the glow engine in the rear start moving things such as the receiver battery pack and adding weight to achieve the same CG of the fuselage. Given that the Lipos weigh about 13 ounces, the ESC about 2 ounces and the brushless motor about 6 ounces that gives me a total of 21 ounces for electric power. The OS 40LA with the muffler should weigh in the 14 ounce range, so if 7 ounces of weight in the nose acheives the correct CG it's pretty much a wash with regard to wing loading not including fuel very near the CG.
Plan on taking some photos hopefully this evening.

Rube