RCU Forums - View Single Post - Auctioning off the Radio Spectrum.
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2008, 07:16 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Auctioning off the Radio Spectrum.

ORIGINAL: Hughes500E

do you guys always assume?

Think about it, a hundred million 72Mhz radios out there and you guys think they're just going to allocate the frequency's to something else []

What exactly do you think they would do with them? The largest danger is complacency and this is happening right now at events.
Help establish a consistent approach for 72Mhz users so we do not help statistically if it ever gets to the table.
I wasn't assuming we'd ever lose it. I just think it's a matter of time that 2.4 is the norm. It may take 20 years, but I can see it going that way, just like computer radios are becoming the norm. If the spectrum is worth a billion, why not take it now rather than get zero for it later. Take the billion and buy every MAAC member new radios; send the old ones in, get new ones in return.

As a 72mhz user, I'm getting more and more paranoid all the time, especially now companies like Parkzone are selling systems on that frequency. It used to be that there was some kind of mentoring that went on and pilots understood about frequency conflicts. Not so much anymore, especially in the park flier realm. 2.4 also introduces another opportunity for 'stupid', especially for those who use both types of radiosturning on a 72mhz radio, forgetting it wasn't the 2.4

It was simply a question: if business is willing to pay for our new equipment, would that be something to pursue....