RCU Forums - View Single Post - What engine do I need for maximum speed?
Old 09-24-2008, 08:48 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What engine do I need for maximum speed?

ORIGINAL: krkenned

Bob,

I have been looking into the Jett 60LX. I would like to get the FIRE engine however, I don't think it will work with the Magnum fuse. Are there any differences in performance in the FIRE and normal side exhaust engines?
It won't stock, but the Magnum begs to have the canopy ripped off and a new one molded with a pipe tunnel and engine cowl. I have a second Magnum for just that purpose but I still haven't started that project.

Beef up the elevator hardware, which can be as simple as replacing it with better quality but equivalent stuff. There are known cases of Magnums losing the elevator (that's a bad thing) with stock elevator pushrod assemblies. Not a rampant problem, but worth knowing about at least.

And run the CG at the rear of the recommend limits. The recommended limits go from very nose heavy at the front, to less nose heavy at the rear. Mine's at 145mm I think, but I'd have to go check.

Oh, and this is a personal thing, but that stock color scheme sucks for visibility and orientation compared to a few other color choices. The checkerboard looks fuzzy grey at distance. If your eyes are decent and you don't have orientation problems, it'll be fine. Plus, the trim peels off too easily. It's fine until a corner lifts.

All in all it's a good airplane. You ought to consider a bubble-free tank. A Jett 8oz slim tank fits nicely, with a wee kiss of the Dremel on the former at the wing LE root.

MJD