RCU Forums - View Single Post - ,Brodak ARF Kits
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2008, 06:56 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ,Brodak ARF Kits

Scott, you are so right about the castor carring heat out of the engines. A very important point indeed.
However, the way you make it sound as if you are making a comparison to the synhtetic oils meaning that castor does carry heat out and synthetic does not... In fact the synthetic most certainly would carry heat out of the engine. So long as the oil comes out of the engine. For that matter everything that doesn't burn in the engine and is carried out by the exhaust will carry heat with it. bubble gum, potato salad, liquid soap, gasses so lond as it doesn't burn and has the ability to absorb the heat energy, will take heat out of the engine.

OK, time to stop my silliness. As for the ability of castor and synthetic oil to absorb and hold heat energy, I have no clue as to which is more efficiant nor have I seen any test for this. for now I will assume that they are not far apart in this ability.

As for Formula One engines I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination but one thing is for sure:
Typical F One engines are not designed to lose unburnt oil to help in their cooling. Typical F One engines use radiators and probably (remember I am not an expert) oil coolers to help maintain acceptable levels of cooling,

Another thing:
If an F One engine were to lose oil out of its exhaust at the rate compared to a model aero engine (which are two stroke engines which have no oil pan and thus rely on the oil to help cool the engine) the car would likely be impounded and banned from racing.

Another:
Are typical F one engines 2 stroke or four stroke? I think the typical F One automobile engine ( you did say "Formula One cars") are four stroke. This means that even if the F One engine were turning 20,000 RPMs it would ony be firing half the time, or 10,000 times a minute. Not a good comparison from where I sit.

Another:
Aren't the typical F One cars funded with lots of money? I think yes. Quote from Wikipedia:
"Ferrari spends hundreds of millions of pounds a year developing their car"
I don't think one could say this about our typical model aero engines.

I think that comparing these highly specialized engines using special alloys and materials to our lowly, off the shelf model aero engines Is, well, not a great choice.

I will stand and take my punishment for any errors or wrongful assumptions I have made here.

I do believe in castor oil and its use in model aero engines but I do not think it is the only oil that can be used. Use what you want, I will stick to castor or at least a percentage of castor in my fuel. I lke it.

Robert