RCU Forums - View Single Post - Eating glow plugs like candy!!!
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2008, 07:45 PM
Airmicro
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Eating glow plugs like candy!!!

Just an update tonight from earlier. I went this evening with the new Traxxas fuel and ran with a friend to see if I could get more than a tank or two without crushing the coil in the plug as usual! I ran the first tank, plug looked new after! Ok, let it cool 10 minutes, fired up for tank 2. Ran great, temps down from 240-250 range like it has been running with the other fuel. Thought I would leave needles set where they were since it was running good, wheelie's, good topend etc.

I temped about half way thru 2nd tank and they were 210, which is what I usually run, but lately with this problem it runs about 250 to perform like it should. Ok, after 2nd tank, plug looked great! Really happy now because for the last few weeks I can't get more than 2 tanks without crushing coil. Let it cool, then fired up for tank 3. Temped about 210, ran perfect! Checked plug after run, looks great! Now I'm really happy!

Now tank 4! Fired it up, ran great, temped 212, great power etc. Checked plug after tank 4, and coil looked kinda like it was leaning over just a very little bit. Not distorted or smashed, but pushed over ever so slightly! Let it cool 10 minutes, and would it fire back up for tank 5! Yep, fired right up and ran great again! temped about 210, no problems!

Checked plug after tank 5, coil moved around inside plug. The coils aren't in a straight pattern down the plug, but pushed around some, but plug still lights, truck still starts! It was too dark for tank 6, soo.........

Well this is where I am now, so I'm kinda stumped! I will say that until now, 2 tanks and the show is over! The new fuel is letting me get more life out of the plug, plus I ran out of the actual correct plug that O.S recommends so I ran a #8 os plug, but I usually run those although its not the long reach, hott plug they call for. The os #8 is medium length, medium heat, but like I say, I usually run that plug and until all this started, I've never had a problem running that plug!

I guess this weekend I'll keep using the Traxxas fuel and try the longer, hotter plug they call for and see!

Any thoughts about this, please chime in!