RCU Forums - View Single Post - exasperated (@#$%) Jett .50 owner
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2008, 03:09 PM
JT Hammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exasperated (@#$%) Jett .50 owner

I bought my first SJ .50 about a year ago. It continues to perform well. I bought my second just a few weeks ago. I have been breaking it in like the other i.e. 9/7, 9/8 and then to a 10/6 prop with a bit more than a gallon of fuel through it (Omega with the castor mix). My Phoenix F-20 likes this engine and moves well. About 4 flights ago, the engine became hard to start. The last two times out it was very hard to start and wouldn't keep running. I have tried may things in the driveway. I have re-plumbed the tank. It is totally tight and holding pressure. I removed the needle valve assembly from the back of the engine and attached it to the side of the fuse so less fuel line is required. I did remove the needle valve once in order to put it through the cowl hole. According to the intructions this is a no no! I have tried three or four different glow plugs with no difference. Currently I can get it started with difficultly only if the carb is open more than half. Anything less and it stops dead. Whereas before I could thumb choke it and bring fuel to the carb, now the fuel won't draw up. I believe the compression is less than before but not sure about this. I have also played with the idle screw both ways of the starting point position - no luck! When I do get it started in a rich needle valve position the carb must remain half to full open to keep running. When full open and rich the engine is maybe turning 7000 rpms. Turning the needle slowly in only results on a few more rpms and then stops. If I quickly richen the needle before it stops it will contunue running. Continue to richen and it will stop. I have checked head bolts and back bolts and slightly tightened 2 or 3 that needed snugging up. AM I MISSING SOMETHING? I'm thinking I will have to sent this one back to 'Jett'. Mabe I've fried this engine but I can't recall having a very lean run or having the engine getting crackling hot. Ideas/suggestions - welcome!