RCU Forums - View Single Post - Volvo 70 Ericsson Build Log
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2008, 09:21 AM
surfdabbler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Volvo 70 Ericsson Build Log

A few more details in the hull, some bulkheads, and some reinforcement patches in the hull. The bulkheads are 1mm balsa with 90gsm cloth on both sides. They are reasonably rigid, but I had some problems with the glassing and vacuum bagging. First go, I got distracted and only mixed the resin for a couple of seconds, so it didn’t set properly. 2nd time around, I mixed it really well, and then vacuum bagged everything with peel ply, but that seemed to suck all the resin out of the cloth. However, the bulkheads are good enough to use (and super light!).

The deck is also not holding the right curve, as it only has glass on the outside, so the bulkheads have been reattached to the underside of the deck, and some reinforcement glass will be put on the underside of the deck. I think that will hold the right curve really well.

Anyway, I'm pretty much up-to-date with this build-log now, covering the last couple of months. I will probably be quiet for a little while, while I do some more more work. I've done some work on deck details, rudders and keels, but made mistakes, mucked up some fibreglassing, and stepped on parts and completely squished them. So, I will be redoing them.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62370.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	1057370   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85834.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	1057371   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88894.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	101.3 KB