RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/5 Top Flight P-51 Electric
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2008, 01:47 AM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 1/5 Top Flight P-51 Electric

Sure Ram-Bro I'll do my best.
I'm running the AXI 5345-14 this is on of AXI biggest out runners and has a high KV(rpm)
I choose this motor from searching the electric conversion on the other site.. also called hobby lobby and emailed AXI
Don (blade runner) used the 5345-16 with great results on his P-51
also most manufactures such as Hacker, Axi, Nue motor have charts to help give you and idea.. and call or email I find them to all really help out
here is a chart for the large AXI motors : http://www.hobby-lobby.com/brushless-axi5345.htm
once you have an idea of the motor you can use a program called moto calc to try different props and batteries to see how many amps you pull

For this setup I'll be using a castle creation 110hv, my setup should only pull 85 amps but this way I can prop up if I need more power
I'll be using two 6s 5000 pack in series to give me 12s 5000mah .. I may setup to 6000 mah if I want a longer flight time
just do a lot of research before you buy your setup. Researching a hot setup is part of the fun for me.

For charging my large packs I use two thunder power 1010 chargers with two 210 balancers hooked to a 50 amps power supply.
this way I can charge two packs at once. At the field I can fast charge in about 40 minutes. when I'm at home I just do a slow charge.
With four packs (two flight packs ) you can fly all day.. with throttle control I'll get 5:00 to 7:00 minute flights

Cost:
the Axi 5345-14 is $285
Castle creation 110 hv $269 so $554 total that’s cheaper than a zdz 80 which this power setup is very close to or the same cost of a DA 50

I look at the batteries as fuel.. I use the same packs for all my large planes some just one 6s 5000 some 12s
I have 4 of these packs and have put 50 flights on each.. you should get over 100 flights on these packs
I'm using thunder power packs each 6s 5000 pack is $300 .. ok so $1200 bucks sounds crazy but if I only get 100 flights per set
That works out to $6 a flight .. some of my older packs have gone well over 200 flights if the pack holds up well your talking $3.00 a flight that not to bad at all

Also I'm having really good luck with Hobby Cities Zippy packs which are half the cost of the thunder power.. I wouldn't use them in really high amp jet setups but work fine for warbirds
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...4&v=&sortlist=
The 6s 5000 mah are only $133 bucks keep the amps down (don't over prop) and you'll be good to go

it does cost a bit more.. but I just love electric.
no tuning, I've never had a dead stick since I converted my whole fleet two years ago, no mess
no fuel proofing needed, some think it's to quite but I hate the sound of weed whacker gas engines
More power... compared to nitro it's a no brainer (glow cost, mess, glow plugs, tuning, starting)
try it you'll love it!!
PM me if you ever need help with a settup
Ron

I added a picture of my charger settup
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86187.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	1065191