RCU Forums - View Single Post - confused about rabio for beginner
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2003, 04:28 PM
BackAfter20
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default confused about rabio for beginner

Facts:
Trainers don't need anything more than a basic 4-channel radio.
4-channel radios are basically a flight pack with a FREE transmitter.
Computer radios keep getting better and cheaper, so waiting to buy one will likely result in getting you a better radio, or saving you money.
Most folks starting out in this hobby would like their initial cash outlay to be as low as possible, while not spending money on items that will be "shelved" if they upgrade.

Opinions/advice:
Find out what brand is used by your trainer and/or club members, and stick with that. That will give you buddy-box capability and at-the-field technical help, if needed.
Buy a basic 4-channel setup for your trainer. If you upgrade, you can shelf the transmitter at no cost, or you have a free buddy box.

While you're learning on your trainer, you will start to get a feel for what type of flying you enjoy (speed, aerobatics, precision, etc.) Once you have that, you will be more aware and informed about what type of radio fits you for the long run.

I almost bought a 6-channel for my first radio, and I'm extremely glad I didn't. I ended up with a 9C, and I am now using my FREE 4 channel transmitter as a buddy box for my boys. No money wasted!