RCU Forums - View Single Post - Old School Q500 building
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2008, 03:52 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Old School Q500 building

We are such a small niche, that other than the Viper, no one has decided to go after this market. The kits available are from small cottage type business's that are everyday modelers doing this in their spare time.

I was in the same dilemna you are in 5 years ago so I took a look at what was winning races and used similar moments and airfoils and drew out my own plans and cut my own kit. After I knew it would fly, I sent those drawings to someone that converted them to CAD and had a few kits laser cut for me. We then added the tabs and slots that made things easy to build, and continued to refine the design.

Go for it, its very rewarding, but don't expect to make a living at it. I'm lucky to make enough profit in a year to buy a new motor or wing, but I can get my kits at a reasonable price.

The big issue I see right now is wings. I spoke to a friend about sheeting a few for me, and the prices have definately increased over the past few years. Use to be able to get a sheeted wing shipped for about $60, now its closer to $100.

I am now working on a shoulder/midwing Seeker aimed at 424 racing that will utilize the Viper wing from Tower. The wings are $79 + $8 shipping for red or white. If all goes well, kits will be available this spring. Sounds like I need to make a mod for people to make as a T-tail. Still looking at least $150+ for a kit? Unless people are still interested in sheeting foam on their own...