RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sheeting Foam wings
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2008, 06:42 AM
luv to race
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sheeting Foam wings

John G. - I think we have around 20-25 signed up right now, give or take a few. And most the locals don’t pre-register.. we were originally hoping to have around 20-25 "428/422" guys, maybe more? If all our locals did show up, we'd pull about 30 pretty easily. But with the dates being close to Xmas, and the economy still hurting some.... who knows. We’ve got Dub Jett and Jerry Small coming from Texas. We’ve got Tom Scott and Craig Grunkmeyer coming from Ohio. Rusty Vanbaren coming from California. So we’ve got some national travelers headed out, which is cool of those guys coming to support. As well as you guys up in NC making the trip. Dennis O’brien throws a awesome party as well, we’ll announce that at the race.

FWIW…. Back when I started racing quickee, we built foam wing planes. And the wings were both one piece foam cores, and two piece foam cores. We have a piece of steel with a couple handles, it weighs about 65 lbs… and that’s all we used on the two piece foam core wings. The weight was not long enough for the one piece cores, so we just placed a couple gallon paint cans on the ends. Point being… it appears that we used far less weight than everyone else. And rest assured, we never had any balsa skins come lose after flying the model.

The question I have is. When you vacuum bag a set of wing cores. Do you still weight it done? To keep it from twisting? Meaning…. How do you insure that the wing (or wing half) doesn’t twist from the bag shrinking around it?

Randy Bridge