RCU Forums - View Single Post - SkyMaster MB339 Build Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2008, 04:34 PM
richbran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SkyMaster MB339 Build Thread

SETBACK....GRRRRRRR.

On basis of the supplied drawing I drilled holes to accept the inboard pylon, see scan of the instructions. First found out that the holes were too far toward the back, needing redrill. Misaligned once again a 3rd series was drilled, normally which would not have been a problem, as all would be covered by the pylon.
Found out then that there was NO plywood under the wing skin(sucks!) in the mounting area and the idea that a large wingtank is held by two Parker screws through a wing sheet did not make sense to me.

So decided to (silicon kit) glue it to the wing, and roughned it a little with scotch brite. With some jiggling managed to get some plywood under the last hole. Fwd one You cannot reach because of the main spar. They should have been installed by SM! There is quite some forces on pylons, they need to be fixed to the wing in a very rigid manner.

THEN I studied the pictures again (should have done that before....) and saw that the outboard pylon sits closer to the fence (the thin plate that is exactly placed in front of the split between flap and aileron) as does the inboard. The instructions however say the opposite! A disturbing mistake....

I have found that the holes need to be 51cm iso indicated 57 cm from the wing root, and the first one should be 4,3 from the leading edge.

Check out the pics from the 1/1 one and also You can see that the main wheel door, because of the proximity of the external tank, not even opens 90 degrees...So the inboard tank sits quite close to the large gear door.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56177.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	1085585   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17835.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	1085586   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb74309.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	34.1 KB