RCU Forums - View Single Post - Weston Magnum build issues
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2003, 11:42 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Weston Magnum build issues

I just used thick CA (and epoxy on some), pushed it into the slots really good before I put the hinges in... so far they have survived a few power dives (which will have been faster than 160 mph I think)... so, knock on wood

You're right about the aileron torque rods though... mine had some play in the balsa...but no flutter yet...
I left them as they were as I already had the construction of a new wing in the back of my head while I was putting the kit together... It will probably turn out to be a complete new Magnum...

So far I corrected the following things on my Magnum:
-I did not use thin CA on the hinges
-I corrected the wing saddle for a clean, tight fit
-I glued a piece of brass tubing over the wing dowel (I don't like wood on wood)
-I tapped the wing mounting plate with M5 and use M5 nylon bolts now (almost lost one of the metal screws in flight once)
-I did not push the long metal rods into the plastic rods on the elevator linkage, I just used 2 short pieces of M2 rod
- I cut a rudder out of the vertical tailplane and used a couple of horns and nylon clevises so I can adjust side thrust (I had to trim the plane to the right very slightly, it flies much better now)
-I glued a strip of rough sandpaper on the CG range to the fuse sides under the wing, to make launches safer

All together small corrections that don't cost a lot of time and money, so I'm still pretty satisfied with what I got for the money I paid... this thing is really cheap speed...