RCU Forums - View Single Post - Weston Magnum build issues
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2003, 05:56 PM
RampRat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weston Magnum build issues

For info:
As a step in my mod-job on my first Magnum, i ripped out control-surfaces and hinges today... ...or to be more specific: After failing to rip them out, i had to cut the off and out with a sharp knife...

The "fiber-hinges" are a bit stiff, but they do not seem brittle at all.
When i buildt mine i used green Zap CA (medium viscosity) on the hinge-slots just before inserting the fiber-hinge, and after installing all surfaces and hinges i put red Zap CA (thin) on the hinge-locations.

When rebuilding it i'll use the same type of hinges again as they have really proved themselves in my opinion, and best of all: They left me with little or no gaps between the control-surfaces and the wing / stabilizer-trailing edge.

Other mods include:

-Joining wing and fuselage permanently, and using the canopy as access-hatch instead.

-To replace both vertical and horizontal stabilizer with ones that have tapered trailing-edges and thinner leading-edge.

-To add a tapered "tail-piece " at the en of the fuselage.

-To tilt the engine so that the manifold and pipe are aligned with the top of the fuaelage, and hidden in the canopy

-A new cowling that is more suitable for the new engine-position.

-Making a fueltank that is more suitable for the available space in the Magnum.

-Glassing the whole thing, both for fuelproofing and to make it more resistent for minor dents.

At this time it's in a lot more pieces than when it came in a box, and the rebuilding may begin...

-....and finally, glassing