RCU Forums - View Single Post - Bob Cat Copy Falcon 120 Jet
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 04:27 PM
Mavrik!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bob Cat Copy Falcon 120 Jet

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

ORIGINAL: Woketman

I would not use the P-80 for the reasons previously stated. BUT, were I to do it with the P-80, I would NOT de-rate the max thrust. You can NEVER have too much thrust for going vertical (up) and for when you desperately need it (unknown crappy situation, usually a blown landing). But you must ALWAYS be throttle aware and only use max throttle when warranted.

Agreed, I used the wrong description when I said de rate the turbine, what I should have said is use the Airspeed sensor to restrict maximum speed.

If I remember correctly both incidents of wing damage where caused by excessive speed, one bent the wing spar the other blew the wing to bits, IMO the wing blowing to bits was possibly caused by the extreme negative pressure generated by the very large curvature of the top section of the wing at the excessive speed sucking the top surface of the wing off the internal structure, that wing section is not designed for the speeds that can be achived by a turbine, but what it does tend to indicate is that the internal wing structure is fairly well put together, I am going to be stripping my wings so will be able to report back what I find.

Mike

Mike,

I thought it was the open exposed wheel well that allowed 150mph air to gush in and blow it up like a balloon. This simply popped the wing and failure followed!!!!!

Lesson here fill in your wheel wells!!!!!!!

Mav