RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1:3.7 Pilatus PC21 turboprop build
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2009, 04:12 AM
marc s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 1:3.7 Pilatus PC21 turboprop build

Elevator servos........ the kit has pre-moulded servo trays built into each surface, which in itself is a great idea, the only drawback is you are restricted in which servos will fit. The original model was fitted with 9kg Futaba servos, Ali preferes to use JR servos and 6 x 8511's were supplied for the job. After a few hours of sanding and grinding the trays to remove the gel coat, these servos just were not going to fit, whatever was done they remained proud of the surface and prevented the servo covers from fitting flush[:@]
Phone call to HT...... spoke to a very helpful guy called Rector who spoke good English, choices were, use a thinner servo like an 8411 (11kg) or remove the base of the servo trays and remake them with some ply glued to the 'top' skin, unfortunately this could not be done on the stabs as the depth of the tray was already touching the top surface. The original plane has been flying with 9kg Futaba servos without any issues on all surfaces including the flaps, so it was decided to keep the mouldings in tact and use 8411's instead of 8511's.

As the fit is tight I fitted a length of ribbon under the servo to provide a release strap to help remove the servo from the fitting, I discovered just how well this servo tray works without fitting a strap originally[]
A little vaseline on the servo grommets makes the whole unit fit really nicely. and the covers once cut to shape now sit flush as intended.

I understand increasing the servo tray depth is a mod HT are working on so a bigger range of servos can be used by shimming out the base of the tray to suit.

marcs

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96234.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	1106143   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv67077.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	1106144   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr39729.jpg
Views:	261