RCU Forums - View Single Post - New to gas and having engine problems, HELP!
Old 01-11-2009, 11:07 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New to gas and having engine problems, HELP!

ORIGINAL: associatedrules

Hi everyone, I am new to the large scale world and just purchased a Shenqi (Firehammer MT knock off). I have owned it for a little over 2 weeks so far and cannot keep it running. I know most people are going to reply with "you get what you pay for", but I just really wanted a 5th scale and couldn't afford an FG or HPI. Basically the problem I am having is chasing the idle and low speed tuning. It runs great past half throttle, but after letting off it will either bog down and die or keep a high rev and idle around the yard at like 5-10mph. I initially thought it was an airleak on the carb/intake, so yesterday I took the intake apart and used Permatex Form-A Gasket sealant on it. This helped slightly, but it is still being very inconsistent on it's tune. The thing that gets me is that I wanted a 5th scale so badly, because I though they were more reliable than nitro. So far it is becoming more of a pain then the nitros. The engine it has in it is supposedly a CY23 and in the manual it even calls it a "Fuelie", but I do not hear these problems coming from HPI owners. Any advise would really be appreciated. If it will help you help me I can try and post a video with audio tomorrow, just let me know. Also if I post a vid please don't make fun of the attempted repair job of the body mounts!
Well, Shenqi , like you said, is a clone of a clone (because Smartech cloned the FG to make the Firehammer for Duratrax, Duratrax has yet to make any of their own RCs).
And that reaises the question about the engine too. Is that a real Chang Yang (CY)? or is that engine a clone of the CY and they just put the CY stickers on it?
Personally, I dont trust it, and I would think they didnt clone the CY engine very well, especially in the carb department (as so many other have already mentioned before me).
What I suggest is that you take off the crappy-sorry clone carb from this proported to be "CY" and inspect that carb thoroughly, measure it up, and see if a genuine Walbro Carb will fit. That way, by going with genuine Walbro, you elimitated your carb problem.

Furthermore, whenever you can, I strongly suggest you buy a brand new genuine CY, or if you can spare about $75 more, get a genuine Zenoah. I cannot help but suspect that Shenqi is pulling the wool over your eye and put a fake CY into your RC instaed of using a real CY. Though a CY is not a Zenoah, a CY does NOT have that much problems with tuning. They are reliable engines for what they cost.