RCU Forums - View Single Post - relationship of ground effect and wing chord
Old 01-21-2009, 08:43 AM
phlpsfrnk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: relationship of ground effect and wing chord

OK guys,
To answer Mike's post point by point.
ORIGINAL: mikenlapaz

Can any one direct me to or furnish info on the relationship between plane size (chord) and when that chord starts interacting with the ground surface.
Is their a factor that can be used to calculate when GE comes into play? If there is a relationship is it the same for landing and takeoff?
It seems that with a greater distance between the two it would lessen the landing 'float' of some models if the landing gear were 'taller'.
Thanks for the assist.
mikenlapaz
"Can any one direct me to or furnish info on the relationship between plane size (chord) and when that chord starts interacting with the ground surface." The relationship is more wing span than cord as described by Red B.'s post and its one wingspan.
"Is their a factor that can be used to calculate when GE comes into play?" Not sure this answers the question but speed to maintain flight in ground effect is less than the normal wing stall speed. There's probably a formula for calculating that speed but I don't know it.
"If there is a relationship is it the same for landing and takeoff?" Yes!
"It seems that with a greater distance between the two it would lessen the landing 'float' of some models if the landing gear were 'taller'." Your statement is true.

For dick & da Rock,
I'm not trying to have a major debate here but here's my opinion. If you have ever taken off from wet tall grass and kept the nose down after rotation to gain speed, you have used and flown through ground effect. If you have ever attempted a landing at near stall speed and watched the plane "float" the entire length of the field to the tall grass, you have experienced ground effect. You do not have to worry about ground effect if you can launch your plane vertically and accelerate in a climb. You do not need to worry about ground effect if you fly your plane onto the ground at some speed far greater than the stall speed of the wing. Is a 40% Extra 300, 60% less affected by ground effect? At what scale can we disregard the effects of this aerodynamic fact of life? Has understanding this made me a better pilot? I'd like to think so.

Regards
Frank
"Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory"