RCU Forums - View Single Post - Shopping/Comparing
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2009, 07:52 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Shopping/Comparing

ORIGINAL: srt10

And where do we think the $1200 rcs come from?
GERMANY! And I love them too, great quality from FG, and priced in between the genuine HPI Baja 5B and still less than MCDs. Though I would love to see an American 5th scale RC, FG for me is good enough.

Enough about economics and all this pricing stuff,

Trev1whittaker, 6th and 5th scale gassers will definitetly need more asphalt space to run on, they have a much larger turning radius and due to their heveier weights, will need more space to stop. (As you go along in the hobby, you can get 4wheel disc brakes as an upgrade, and that will give you stopping power that rivals that of 8th scale RCs!) You can still run on the smae paved area you run nitros on, but you will really appreciate more open areas since they give you much more room to maneuver and bash around on.

As for noise, unfortunately, they are louder than nitro. Afterall, these engines have similar displacemnts to weedeaters and leaf blowers, but the difference is that your neighbors might be more habituated to weedeater engine noises so it might not bother them as badly so long as you run during daylight and not during prohibited times (i.e. city ordenance times that prohibit the use of lawn mowers weed eaters, chainsaws, etc.)
Nitros on the other hand can sound like a buzzing mosquito and their high pitched exhaust sounds can be even more annoying to your neighbors. And they can spot the noise of the unique sounds of a nitro engine a mile away. Sad, that even though nitro engines are a little more silent than gas engines, their higher pitch exhaust noises can be more annoying for some people.

As for the thrill of these gassers, for me at least, I love them. The ability to run for more than 30min per tank is an absolute pleasuere. And once you have your tuning dialed in, you can leave the needles there and keep on running even if the weather suddenly changes! Gas engins are a please in that fact, and the less hands-on as far as tuning and haveing to refuel every 10-15min is great.