RCU Forums - View Single Post - Big block Whiplash - heartache or happiness?
Old 01-24-2009, 11:00 AM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Big block Whiplash - heartache or happiness?

I-L-J always has good info and points. The 9" props have a small hub and with TIME even my YS 45 RE will throw a blade at the hub. My OS 46 DF will take the tips off any APC pylon so carbon was the answer for that. Some guys have gone with larger APC props for the larger hub size and cutting them down and reshaping, but that’s a lot of work and I won't endorse that idea.

Id go with the Zinger route, they come six to a package from the factory, so could make some 9, 8 3/4 and 8 1/2 " in diameter, a little hand clean up ,round the flat off leading edge and feather the trailing edge(a bit), on a Zinger helps anyway. Of course you will need to reshape/thin the tips after cutting down the diameter. Rub in some thin CA in to the thin areas to toughen up the wood when done shaping. Balance than final balance with the nitro proof spray paint that you use to seal the wood. Re-check balance when dry. Man that engine will rev up fast with a wood prop.

Crazy4Flight has a good point, I don't think you will get the CG right unless you add weight and I hate that. So, like he said land hot with high rates, it shouldn't be a problem unless something jumps in front of it.

By the way MJD, I like the red Jett carb on it. What's it from?