RCU Forums - View Single Post - Aero Works P-51?
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2009, 12:40 PM
Aero-Works

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aero Works P-51?

First test flight is finally over we flew the P-51 on Thursday. All I can say is AWSOME! It was exciting to see this beautiful plane in the air. After over 25 years of flying mostly aerobatic planes it was a rush to experience the thrill of flying the P-51 Mustang.

The plane handled great on the ground and was smooth and stable in the air. With only two clicks of right aileron trim needed the first flight was better then expected. I throttled up for take off the plane rolled out 20 feet, tail lifted and the plane tracked straight down the runway. It stayed glued to the runway until I pulled slightly on the elevator stick then she lifted gently into the air. With a 22 pound flying weight and a DA 50 for power it had excellent performance.

After a few passes and getting a feel for the plane I felt completely in control and comfortable with it. After a few more passes I tried different maneuvers with it like barrel rolls and loops it was a pleasure to fly. Very light on the wing with NO tendencies to snap or roll out of anything.

After a few minutes of flight the unthinkable happened (Especially with a WarBird) A DEAD STICK! I couldn’t believe it but the engine quite and I had to make a dead stick landing with an untested, first flight mustang that I had over two years invested in not only time but also money. Simply I was a nervous wreck!

But it worked out for the best I was able to test the flight characteristics of the plane at full power and at NO power. I turned and headed for the runway the plane was a long way out and I didn’t think it was going to be pretty. I held the heading of the plane straight down the runway and made sure the stab was higher then the wing and wished for the best. The plane settle in like a TRAINER and never even dropped a wing tip. Unfortunately, I was to far out to make the nicely paved runway and the plane settled in out in the open field over a hill out of sight (rough grass, weeds, dirt) you get the picture.

We took the long walk to pick up the plane not knowing what to expect but when we got there it was in perfect condition not a scratch. The Robart main gears were bent back from the hit but the gear mount in the wing was in perfect condition.

So even though I was not expecting or wanting a dead stick on the first flight it was a great test for the strength of the plane and gear mount. We will get the gear fixed and fly the plane more soon

I am certain this plane will be a winner

Thanks for everyones support and comments on the Mustang
Rocco / Aeroworks