RCU Forums - View Single Post - Jemco Focke Wulf 190D-9
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2009, 10:09 AM
deatonbt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Jemco Focke Wulf 190D-9

fordboy76,
I'll post some pictures as I go along.

The structure type used for the fuselage on the FW 190D-9 is different than the ME 109G-2(these are the names of the kits; not the correct name of BF 109). My kit has 3D drawings of both fuselages.

The FW 190 uses a crutch with tabs and slots in the nose to line everything up. It is really close to the method used in my Gold Edition TopFlite SeaFury that is waiting to be built. The FW 190 uses tabs from the crutch that slide into precut slots in the side fuselage sheeting. It is going to be really hard to not come out with a straight fuselage.

The BF 109 has flat sheet sides that use triangle stock at the edges to line things up. The rear deck in the picture shows wood that has to be shaped into the rounded shape. Mine had an ABS plastic rear deck that saved a lot of work. The round top of the fuselage and the triangle stock allowed some roundness to be sanded into the sides. I laminated some sheet balsa onto the sides to get a little more wood to sand to get the fuselage a little rounder. I don't remember weight being an issue with 4 channels. It is up to you. On mine I carved the nose from a G version to an E. The horizontal stab was weak where it slid into the vertical stab. Mine broke. You might want to add some thin plywood there for strength. Since I made the E version, I added functional struts from the fuselage to the stab after the repair.

Don't ask me about high school chemistry, but I can picture just about every kit that have built in my mind.