RCU Forums - View Single Post - Heng Long Recoil tutorial
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2009, 10:49 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Heng Long Recoil tutorial

The first person I know that hi-lighted this was 971wright. That was months ago. My first 4 upgrades were done basically the same except for the capacitors on the motor. I never did anything to mine, so I am not sure about the "Noise" the bubba refers to. I just haven't had an issue with mine.

What I recently discovered though, is if you run the bbl out the "back of the gun you don't need to even take the gun apart.

So the mods others have done are easy to do and the results are great. My Sherman is exactly done that way. However now that I know you just flip the gun 180 and run the bbl through the back, I question the need to bother with this other mod anymore. I just did my stug and the results are the same with very little work.

If you were planning on the old cam style elevation unit, then you might want to consider this earlier mod as you would need the plastic ramp on the back of the gun. The orignal way also allow you to keep all the mounting the same. So I think if you were moding an existing tank then maybe the effort to do the internal mods to keep the mounting the same is worth it.

The one issue I have had with the internal mods, is you have to ensure the bbl doesn't go to far back, otherwise the gear will not engage the rack on the block, and the motor will just run with no recoil action happening. I had to then add a stop to the inside of the gun to always make sure the gear would engage the rack. Not sure if bubba addressed this, but you need to be aware of it as you may find that as a problem of this mod..

If you are however doing a kitbash or scatchbuild I think I would be tempted to flip the gun as it is the easiest thing to do

My Stug and Sherman were kit bashes so I wasn't to concerned about the stock mounting points.

So you have two choices to improve the Heng Long recoil, and probably two different unique circumstances to consider before deciding on which one works best for you. .