RCU Forums - View Single Post - How to convert an ATX power supply to rc use
Old 02-13-2009, 11:29 PM
skiddriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to convert an ATX power supply to rc use

Please excuse the slight thread creep, but I wanted to know if there is a commercially available product or a step-by-step DIY to make a DC-to-DC converter to change the +5VSB output to +12V. I've done an extensive Google search, and while it is evident that this is possible, all I've really been able to find are circuit diagrams that I do not have the knowledge to turn into a working device. Buy parts and solder together - yes. Decipher circuit diagram - no.

As for the "why". I want to convert an SFX PSU to use as a home power source for a car CD/receiver, and I need a constant 12V source to power the memory input. I could tap off the 110 VAC input and use a wall wart as a separate component, but as I don't have any other use for the +5VSB rail, I thought it might be a neat way to do it.

The SFX PSU +5VSB rail I'm using is rated at 2A, so the step-up output should be 500mA to 800mA which will be sufficient.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, as for the other "why" (why try and use a car radio in the house?) I'm looking to have a receiver that has AM/FM HD radio, CD, and an IPOD input/USB input - and they just don't make those combinations for home use.