RCU Forums - View Single Post - Intake Timing .46 Pro TT
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2009, 06:34 AM
BarryReade
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Intake Timing .46 Pro TT

I remember when if you wanted to go faster than the other guys you would modify your motor by altering the timing on the crankshaft along with hand fitting the bearings, sleeve, piston, rings, and even the intake casing. Unfortunately our society has decided that any infraction of the rules inn racing makes you an extremely undesirable person and you should be banned from your favorite sport/hobby for life. I recently got a TT PRO 40 and the first thing I did was disassemble it and check the sleeve and bearings for binding and flushed the case out. I was pleasantly surprised to find everything inside this motor met the minimum standards of excellence. I also thought about getting a PRO46 and see if the internals would fit at PRO40 case as it looks like they might. I was talking to some guys about it and they told me about a guy in Florida that did that and went to a Club40 race and was found out what he had done and that he had been banned from ever competing again. (sigh) I was raised in an era that if you weren't pushing the rules to the edge you weren't trying and that was "Just racing". But, alas, no more, it is not acceptable so I just check the stock fitting clean up the flashing marks and do the best breakin procedure that I can. I am sure there are some classes in some racing that engine mods are allowed but until I get back to them and the rules do not allow it I won't do any mods. I would say that if you checked the crank timing on a PRO46 you coud probably advance the intake timing bt at least 10* and you would definitely see and increase in power. But, before doing that I would recommend you get a good muffler/pipe as that will increase your your top end rpm by as much as 2000 rpm. As you increase the timing on your motor it will like higher compression and have a bigger appitaite for more nitro in the fuel. My new PRO40 is taching right at 16.5K on the tachometer and that is on 15% nitro, APC 9x6 prop (balanced only), and the stock muffler. I will have to try different props and see if I can get a prop that will lower the RPM some so when I go to a club40 event I will not be penalized by the 16.5 rpm max rule. If there are no real rules in your area then I would say go for it and let us know what you find.