RCU Forums - View Single Post - How to convert an ATX power supply to rc use
Old 03-01-2009, 07:34 PM
matthewborah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to convert an ATX power supply to rc use

I just tried converting a 400 watt power supply but I cannot get it to work. I'm not too experienced with this stuff so I hope that someone here can help me. Here is exactly what I have done:

I went to fry's and bought a 400 watt power supply that already has an led and a switch built in.
I tested it before working on it and it worked.
I removed all of the connectors and made sure to keep the wires that were inserted into the same pin together (two gauges of orange wire and a brown and black wire).
I installed two sets of banana plugs into the case.
I soldered a red wire and black wire to a 10 watt 10 ohm resistor and installed on the case with zip ties and thermal grease.
I soldered the two sense wires to each other (light gauge orange to heavier gauge orange and brown to black) and covered with heat shrink.
I soldered 3 yellow wires to both positive banana posts and 3 black wires to both negative banana posts. I put heat shrink over all joints.
All other wires were cut off at the circuit board.

I thought everything went together really smoothly. All of my solder joints were strong and shiny. When I plugged it in and flipped the switch the led lit up. However, when I plugged in one of my chargers it did not power up and the psu fan never ran. I tried checking the voltage and it shows up as 0 volts.

I would appreciate any help.