RCU Forums - View Single Post - Spot On 50 Build log.
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2009, 11:49 AM
cchariandy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spot On 50 Build log.

I have been looking for a first pattern plane for my Son for quite some time and eventually decided on the Spot on 50. However, I had difficultly finding good build logs to assist in the decision so I am going to post one here.

The initial target was to get a capable starter pattern plane that was reasonbly priced and so less stressful if lost. Additionally, I wanted to re-use the engine from my sons trainer, an OS50SX, so an all up weight of 5lb or a little less was needed.

I ordered the kit from Airborn models and it arrived in Canada just 2 weeks after shipping, well packaged and in good condition.

The kit quality is not great but there's lots of value in the box and the design is quite modern compared to others like the Venus 40, GP Tracer, Kaos etc. And unlike more expensive kits like the Oxalys all flying surfaces are airfoiled. The hardware is very good and looks like Tetra copies however the landing gear and fiberglass work are very heavy and the horizontal stabilizer is a bit warped...hopefully we can trim that out. I have also asked AB models to replace it. Their service has been good thus far I hope they agree and send me a new one.

Update: AB models agreed to send a new stab after seeing the photos of the one I have....great support. I'll add pictures of both stabs when I get the new one.

I plan on replacing the wheel pants and landing gear and will make the cowl lighter after carving it up to accomodate the engine.

Here's the equipment I'm going to use and extra stuff I'll replace for weight saving and performance.

OS50SX, standard muffler, dubro extension.
Dave Brown 50-60 mount
9650 - Ail
9202 - Elev, Rudder
HS85BB - Throttle
TP1350 - Rx pack
Central hobbies DEPS - 0.07" Elevator control pushrods
Hobby City 160mm Carbon Gear
Hobby City 90 size wheel pants
GP 2.5 spinner with light back plate
Central Hobbies Aluminiun axles

I started with the engine installation.

The airplane comes setup for an inverted engine istallation with blind nuts pre-installed but I wanted to mount the OS50 at an angle to allow the standard muffler to exit at the bottom. My Son is not the best at airplane clean-up so this is a must. Also, I bet the covering (Toughlon) will benfit from having less oil thrown on it.

The supplied adjustable mount is very heavy and too large to be installed across the firewall so I removed the existing blind nuts and installed a Dave Brown OS50 one piece mount. I had to reach through the opening in the firewall for the fuel tank to install the new blindnuts.

The mount was a bit short so I installed the two aft screws only...don't freak out, this is done with hyde mounts with no problems. A pair of SS 6-32 screws have more than enough sheer strength for the job.

I used a Dubro muffler extension and carefully butchered the cowl to accomodate the muffler. I didnt mind as we'll benifit from the weight reduction anyway and I don't think the end result looks badly.

I'll add pictures later (if I figure out how).