RCU Forums - View Single Post - Official Traxxas Jato 3.3 Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 07:24 PM
ajk2649

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Traxxas Jato 3.3 Thread

ORIGINAL: nitrorevo

ORIGINAL: ajk2649

Well I have a 3 shoe clutch with a 35mm flywheel. That starter box sure is tricky tho but I think I finally got the hang of it. I'll be sure 2 try different gearing and see results. Im just worried about the gear box not being able 2 handle the rpms and stripping some gears. I guess we'll see what happens. I'll be running 20%. you think I should go with 30% with a med plug? I'll be running the os p7 so I think that should be ok.
Just make sure you start the wheel going before you bump the flywheel, that will help prolong life of starter motors. Yes, I would run 30% w/med plug. My JLR.12 was shimmed for 30% stock. The gearbox won't handle the rpm well at all. My .12 spent so fast it would toast 1st, 2nd and the diff gear. My thought is the plastic would heat up making the teeth on the gear weaker and strip right off. It got to be a pain as you have to take the whole rear end off to replace.

I like the Jato, but the tranny is a weak link. Even the aluminum or bronze gears don't hold up well. Loosining the slipper helps some, but then you reduce the power to the ground which defeats the purpose of adding a stronger engine. Don't let me discourage you though. I have just done about everything you can imagine with the Jato.

Good luck bro, happy to help any way I can.
Yeah I was reading in the book and it says they recommend 2 use 20%. with a med plug. How did u go about adjusting ur shift point? Mine is still set stock from the factory. As far as the shim I do believe it is shimmed but still may only be shimmed for 20%.Im 2 sure about all that.