RCU Forums - View Single Post - From yet another box of stuff in the shop comes..
Old 03-05-2009, 11:32 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: From yet another box of stuff in the shop comes..

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

I think if you wanted to do a Batwing, you would need more wing area than what you show.
Sinking in a full depth spar.......attach that wing to a sheet of particle board or plywood and tilt the whole works down along side a rip fence until the entire table saw blade is poking through, the run the jig back and forth until the slot is complete. The wing can be held snug to the jig by surrounding it with wood blocks and clamping it over the top with a screwed down scrap of 1x2.
If you make it low wing, consider hand launching
Nah, no flying wings right now - conventional layout.

Going low wing, a couple of degrees dihedral to get the tips off the ground, no plans to use landing gear whatsoever of course. I still have the foam nests from the wing cores, and they'll do a good job as the basis of a holding fixture if I DS-tape them down to some particle board - this is how I figured I'd do it. And my flying buddy has a really nice table saw with sharp blades and all that fancy stuff.

For the fuse I figure 3/32" balsa with a light glass skin, and structural reinforcement internally as deemed necessary.

Hey CP - if the torque rods are about 5" long, they'll be too springy in 2-56 rod right? I was looking at that last night and I think for the extra 5-6 grams it would be prudent to go 4-40 for stiffness. I don't want to fair in separate servos on this little thing.

MJD