RCU Forums - View Single Post - Fokker DR-1 with Saito FG-36, 1/4 Scale Balsa USA
Old 03-15-2009, 07:59 PM
Spychalla Aircraft
My Feedback: (34)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Fokker DR-1 with Saito FG-36, 1/4 Scale Balsa USA

The best Latex paint jobs I have ever seen were done by Chuck Hamilton over in Buchanan, MI. I've painted with latex before but never got the results that he can get. So rather than mess around with unknowns I decided to go to the source and do it right. I called Chuck and he was gracious enough to give me all the details. It starts with BEHR brand flat exterior Latex from Home Depot. I had them color match 6 quarts of paint for me today to some Testors Model Masters German RLM color coupons I had prepared. The colors look dead-on to what I gave them to work from. Total cost was $69. It is thinned down for spraying with window washer fluid. Any brand, but "fresh" as Chuck puts it. So I got some fresh stuff. As a trial piece I sprayed a rudder that I just recovered on my DVII. Paint was thinned about 50% for spraying. I applied it directly to unpainted Nelson Fabric. No priming required. OH! You wouldn't believe this paint! It is fantastic! Some of the best stuff I have ever sprayed! Good coverage, layed down smoothly, did not run or sag, didn't have to wear a mask, and cleaned it up with water! This is going to be fun.

Once things are dry Chuck recommends a clear coat using Minwax water based PolyAcrylic. He says it goes on well with good adhesion and it keeps the latex from absorbing grime and makes it easier to clean-up. So you see some in the picture and I plan to use it. It was about $8 a can. Leo
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97267.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	1158618   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12822.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	1158619