RCU Forums - View Single Post - Make My P-51 Scream! Part II
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2009, 09:56 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Make My P-51 Scream! Part II

ORIGINAL: Steven H

Some of you may remember my thread from a few years back with the same name. Well I got some great suggestions from you all. I took your advise and installed a Tower Hobbies .75 in my .40 size Modeltech P-51 and it did scream. I put more flights on it than any plane I have ever owned. I even had to replace the piston and liner once after burning a hole in the piston from a lean run on 40% nitro. It finally met it's end last spring while doing a full speed pass at about 12". I didn't pay attention to the tall grass at the end of the field. The debris scatter was impressive.

Now on to the next one. I am starting with a NOS Modeltech .25 ARC P-51. I have been flying one for about five years and it is pretty quick with a .32SX. The new one is being modeled after Strega since I was in Reno this year when Tiger won the Unlimited championship in it last September.

My question is concerning engine choice. I really want this baby to scream. I mean over the top fast. Yes I know that it has thick wings and all of that, but there must be an engine that comes to mind to you speed demons out there. I am ditching the bubble canopy and going with a turtle deck and small canopy, just like full scale strega. Any airframe speed mod ideas would be appreciated too. I don't want to use a big pipe. An oversize muffler would be fine. I was thinking Jett or something similar. But I don't know which one. I have only owned O.S. engines for the most part. Let the ideas flow. I am just starting the assembly so now is the time for mods and engine choice.

thanks,

Steve
The choices are somewhat divided amongst the .25 block size and .40 block size. In the .40 block size an instant suggestion is the Jett 60LX - you get pretty-much Quickie engine power and nice throttling. I would think that would make that thing rip. Or RIP as the case may be..

In the smaller the BSE .35 is apparently purty hot, but someone else here would have to tell you the comparison between the two.

Another alternative is a 2-3 year out of date as far as the racing circuit go but still hot as blazes pylon .40, for example I saw a Nelson SS go for $76 on fleaBag sometime before Xmas. You also get the macho factor of full throttle starts. He-man [>:]! Or bargain Daven on here for that St X-.40 he apparently picked up NIB for a song recently.