RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/6 Scale F4U Corsair Group Build
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2009, 09:17 AM
Riddle4U

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 1/6 Scale F4U Corsair Group Build

Jeff, and anyone else, I spent quite a bit of time carefully comparing my gear to the Royal plan as it exists. The Aune compresses the strut such that a 5" wheel does fit into the Royal wheel area (the rear spar could go back an 1/8th or 1/4" for even more room. Comparing the side view next to rib W-6 shows room for a 1" wide wheel (keeping everything between upper and lower rib surface), this is at the axle. When you get to the "bottom" of the tire where in retracted position, there is a reduction to 3/4" (max tire width) between upper and lower rib surfaces. This doesn't explain everything since the wing "gull" complicates my ability to check further. Obviously it WON'T work if the side by side comparison next to a rib is too tight. The scale airfoil is almost imperative in this area to fit the gear, I think. The fact that scale is more symetrical compared to the more "flatter" bottomed Royal, should give as much clearance as we can get with an airfoil. Going up to as big as 5 1/3" for scale size wheel really would make things tough, and absolutely require the lifting mechanism. As far as I am aware, the Aune is the only gear that accomplishes this. Anyone discussing the gear needs to understand what the lifting mechanism is to understand. Please ask if you are confused by the term "lifting mechanism", I just don't want to assume knowledge on everyone's part (we've seen where that gets us..hahaha). Also, if you core out the balsa leading edge in front of the gear mechanism (by 1/4" or so), this places the strut essentially "dead on" the scale strut location when extended. Here's a few more pictures, and I hope helpfull. The last picture shows the strut retraction limit! A small mod may allow an up-lock in precisely the necessary retracted angle. Of course the strut can be set for different angles in the retracted position the "twist" spoken of.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb87069.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	1160371   Click image for larger version

Name:	So43053.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	1160372   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz67522.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	29.9 KB