RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/6 Scale F4U Corsair Group Build
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2009, 06:22 PM
Riddle4U

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 1/6 Scale F4U Corsair Group Build

Jeff, I don't want to over complicate this task as I said. The rear spar just needs to be far enough back to accomodate our scale wheel, but if it is 5.3" as Danny intimated, we need to see if any scale wheel we are likely to use, will fit thickness wise (I am buying the Glennis, and it is 1.5"). That is why I think Chad is building a dummy center section. I think it is likely we will have to compromise here with a 5" wheel maximum. The scale airplane did everything perfect to get that tire just barely fit in the wing. Since we are already struggling with gears that work, geometrically; I say we go with the Royal design on all the spar locations (look at my salient pic, and Randy's). No one commented on my pic of the Aune placing the wheel exactly between the spars as is! Randy seems to have accomplished this with the Robart as well given Royal design (probably fits Matt drawing darn close). Chad hasn't commented on any of this but I think he has already stated that he is going with the Matt drawings as we all agreed, which include the scale airfoil. So I suggest it is all there, and Chad let's stick with what it sounds like you are moving toward. Didn't you say you were using all these scale airfoils per Matt? I don't think Jeffs question on where to put the spar vis-a-vis the scale flap chord (per Matt), answers rear spar placement. The rear spar is forward of flap line by a lot. Chad, your dummy center section will answer more questions than anything I guess. A good start on getting to our flap issue simultaneously. I think Luke mentioned that the Royal was off on the break points for the individual flaps. That is a thing to change possibly from our royal plan, and could effect rib placement, but the ribs don't have to be continuous to the TE. Just the rear "sub T.E.". Then we could relocate ribs per individual flap...just saying it is flexible in design behind the rear "sub T.E." (is there a name for that set of parts)?
So it seems the facts are: Randy has showed a 5" wheel fits a built Royal wing fine. My picture shows the Aune looks to work also (it was designed for the thinner BT wing after all, and should have no prob with a thicker stock Royal wing, let alone an even thicker scale airfoil). I am not too worried about this topic as much anymore. Let's leave the Royal spars where they lie, and make sure we have the proper DEPTHS and PROFILES on these spars and we should be fine (and aquit some gear designs for approval). I hate to say it but I don't think Scott's larger wheel diameter will be practicable (my comparisons with the plan showed a 5" wheel & gear touching everything). I think fighting the whole wing design, if it involves moving spars, for a slightly larger, albeit perfect scale tire diameter, seems less than efficacious. It may well fit, the Royal spar seperation by a hair as is (for all we know). I just think we have to be willing to compromise a little in order to move forward. Even Dave Platt said it "it doesn't have to be right..it just has to look right". A judge can't tell the difference from ten feet. We need to balance things. Pick the right battles, I guess. Scale outline is major..then fit everything within those parameters.