RCU Forums - View Single Post - Problems with my "EZ-Start" on my T-MAXX 2.5, and stalling!
Old 06-13-2003, 10:46 PM
RCFreakInFL
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with my "EZ-Start" on my T-MAXX 2.5, and stalling!

I am having a helluva time right now with my T-Maxx. Just bought this truck on ebay, in practially new condition. Have been fooling around with it all day. I know about the stalling issues I am hearing, and I am dealing with them. I can't seem to get the air/idle mixture right on it, and it runs either too rich, or too lean, not quite getting the sweet spot. But besides that......

This dayum EZ-START crap, really sucks! The little electric motor on mine, really stinks for starting the truck. I think I may be on the road to burning it out....has anyone had any problems like that? It all started when I got the truck going, took it down the street, at about 1/2 throttle, it stalled (no surprise)....so I go hurrying down the road before a car hits it. I try to start it up again, and the little motor just starts spinning (like a whining sound), but the motor doesn't turn over. When I let it spin for like 3-4 seconds, it caught the motor a little, and spun it like once or twice. So I was mad!

I took the "EZ-CRAP" system apart, to check it out. I was thinking maybe a pinion was loose. Opened it up, cleaned all the crap outta there, there were little bits of plastic shavings from the gears meshing with the frame on the inside. Re-greased it, and then assembled again! Charged my 1500 pack up (on my Indi 16x7) Went to crank it back up, and it did try to start, but after about 5 seconds of doing that, it seemed like it just started to spin again, and not turn the motor over. Then I looked, and of course there was a little smoke coming out of the can (on the motor), and of course the can was very hot. So I decided to let it sit and cool.

It just seems like this starting system isn't a great one, for having to tune the crap outta this motor to get it working right. Traxxas says to turn the needle out 4 turns, and I am having to run it at about 4 1/2-5 to get it to even wanna run, but it just doesn't sound right at all.

So what all this winds up to, is to ask if anyone just takes this EZ start system off their 2.5, and just uses like a pull start? I hate pull-start, and have heard horror stories about them. I could care less about the weight issue that I would be gaining. I just want something that I can bash around the park in. But honestly, once this truck stalls (quite often), it seems like the starting system just doesn't want to turn it over anymore, unless I peak the battery right then, for another good start......any suggestions or advice would be appreciated!