RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Flite '.60 size' P-51D Mustang ARF: Building & Modifications
Old 03-24-2009, 03:29 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite '.60 size' P-51D Mustang ARF: Building & Modifications

Bob, I really suggest that you go back and read some of the info that I posted very early on, regrading the stock retracts ( and struts ), which is confirmed by your recent findings. In fact: Post #1 contains highlighted (bold) specs of the stock strut wires.

I also posted on the difficulties in attaching RoboStruts to those 5mm (stock ) strut wires. You are now compounding that by talk of modification to the Lado units. My advice would be: locate some 3/16" strut wires and use them. I assure you: you will save a lot of time and frustration.

3/16" struts are a very common size for this size aircraft: they are included with most ( if not ALL ) of the Top Flite '.60 size' warbird KITS (but not the ARFs), as well as many other simular size kits.
For that matter, you COULD just use any 'wire' that is 3/16" diameter, IF you choose not to have the 'spring loops' in them (which is what most people prefer when installing RoboStruts, but not me).

I think the best option is: purchase a pair of 3/16" titanium struts from Central Hobbies:
http://www.centralhobbies.com/miscel...titstruts.html
and install them WITH the spring loops. You will NOT have to modify the Lado retarcts, and you will NOT have to modify the RoboStrut inserts.
Also, as I indicated in earlier posts: it IS possible to install 3 1/2" wheels, which look better AND handle better.