RCU Forums - View Single Post - will a RC(nitro) engine benefit from a boost bottle?
Old 03-24-2009, 11:21 PM
kawasaki_kid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will a RC(nitro) engine benefit from a boost bottle?

A lot of what i know about tuning engines comes from a powersports back ground. i maintain my own snowmobile, dirtbike, ect. when i was younger i tuned the **** out of a 32cc scooter engine. one of the parts that made a significant differance was a boost bottle. A boost bottle is NOT a nitrous type system. If you dont know what a boost bottle is, i have included an explination.

i was wondering if the same principles will work on a 3.0 HPI? does anyone manufacture this type of product?

How does a boost bottle work?

It's function is to absorb & release pressure pulses within the intake vein, assisting engine breathing. Now an explanation of exactly what goes on involves a lot of physics and a good understanding of fluid dynamics & pressure zones, but can be explained rather easily. During the intake stroke, air is sucked through the intake manifold and into the port at a considerable velocity. Because of this velocity, the air is said to have relative inertia. Now, when the intake valve closes, the kinetically charged air suddenly has nowhere to go, creating a high-pressure area. Naturally, the air wants to release its pressure in the easiest way possible, so it tries to shoot back out the way it came, creating a pressure wave in the opposite direction we want it. Then no sooner dose the wave begin to travel, the intake valve suddenly opens again leaving the motor to try and pull the pressure wave back in again. This dramatically effects low RPM, wastes energy and kills low-end performance. Now the same engine, but with a BOOST BOTTLE. Air goes whistling down the manifold until the intake valve closes. The air, still all charged up with energy tries to escape back up the manifold but is met with a small port that has a residual vacuum. This vacuum being caused by the previous suction of the intake stroke, sucks most of the pulse inside the Boost Bottle, storing much of the pulse’s energy. The intake valve then suddenly opens, creating a low-pressure area outside of the Boost Bottle. The gasses then shoot out of the Boost Bottle, directly into the intake system as a pressure pulse, instead of having to be pulled in by the piston. More air is then also pulled in from the manifold to completely fill the cylinder… Thus giving you an additional boost of power.

Boost bottle kits are not Nitrous Oxide (NOS)
Boost bottles work off the combustion of your engine and do not require any fuel additives or maintenance. A boost bottle will last the life of your engine and does not pose any danger to your engine mechanically.

i was wondering if the same principles will work on a 3.0 HPI?