RCU Forums - View Single Post - Elcon Clutch, Adjustments
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2009, 06:21 PM
Apache-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Elcon Clutch, Adjustments

There are lightened sets of shoes from Elcon that go to the higher amount of RPM's you discribe.
All Elcon clutches are nowadays delivered like that.
many racers here use that clutch for off-road as it simply one of the best race clutches.

The LB 3 shoe aluminium one is very good also but much more expensive.
The 3 shoe one is usefull in on-road, not off-road. There all drivers in on-road use this nowadays.
Wear rate is however much higher on both the shoes and the bell with the aluminium shoes. So expensive to run and maintain.

For off-road you want a teflon clutch, especialy with sand conditions, that is if you want something that does last longer than 3 runs...

The set screws should not be turned in on the elcon clutch more then 1.5~1.75 turns maximum.
Otherwise you reach the block height of the spring.
The clutch shoe then cannot move out completely and the clutch then cannot engage fully.
This gives you the higher RPM, but will lead very soon in just smoking up your shoes as they would be constantly slipping.
So keep the set screws under the 1.75 turns in.

Go for the lightened shoes if you want a higher RPM range.
It is fully exchangeable with the black shoes they had in the clutch package before.
Now the shoes are white and from a higher grade teflon as the black ones they delivered before.

We use the white ones on high grippy fast tracks where you can put the engine power down to the ground. Where it is slippery you are faster with a clutch that does engage earlier.
8000RPM is already a lot for off-roading to my taste. That is close to on-road racing already.
Most off-road racers have set their clutch at 6000~7000RPM so you get more useable power at the start of acceleration, instead of just spinning wheels.
In rain on astro turf we lower it even to 4500RPM with the heavier black shoes they delivered in the past.

On the new shoes I run just half a turn in on the set screw which does the job fine in most circumstances.
It is then around 6500RPM the first point engaging and at about 7000RPM it is I think fully engaged.
This is difficult to say but I estimate it slips over about a range of 500 RPM now.
hope this helps.