RCU Forums - View Single Post - There was a time... January 1949
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2009, 08:43 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: There was a time... January 1949

ORIGINAL: dbacque
When I heard that he was going to run his "jet engine" at the school science assembly I was so excited. What a dissapointment. I learned a little something about advertising that day.

Dave
I will try to get a copy of a couple of minutes of film footage, which involves me and a coop engineering student test firing a back of the magazine little B&W ad rocket engine - the "System Solaire" liquid fuel rocket engine which promised all sorts of earth shattering things. He paid something like $1000 for it (he better not have been getting any student grants come to think of it... hmm) and got the most cockamamie piece of crap I ever did see. The literature was just as bad, the builder couldn't tell one bloody unit of measurement from another it seemed. It looked lke something conjured up by Jethro Bodine in shop class and had a Beverly Hills price tag to go with it. It was designed to use 50% hydrogen peroxide and gasoline IIRC. We felt sorry for him (only a tiny bit) and also wanted to see it blow to bits (dearly) so agreed to help him fire it on our test stand. The film is sad, a bit steamy purple fart that would barely have moved the thing sideways on glare ice. I'm sure I've created more thrust.

MJD