RCU Forums - View Single Post - Spot On 50 Build log.
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2009, 09:41 PM
cchariandy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spot On 50 Build log.

I got the new carbon gear from Hobby City. They are great quality,very light and a little taller than the stock gear. The plane balanced at about 125mm from the LE, 8mm behind the "ideal CG" in the manual. These things are usually conservative so I decided to fly it as is. The total weight was 5lbs 5.5oz. This after saving at least 7oz so AB models is way off in the weight estimate. Still, that's not too bad for 538sq ins.

We had great weather today (for Canada...12C and 10mph winds in March!!) so we headed out for the test flight.

Even at the relatively aft CG the plane tended to nose over on take off roll. The soggy ground and small wheels and increased sweep back of the new gear did'nt help, but the take off roll was straight and climb out very positve and needed little to no rudder. A click or two of down elevator, left aileron and rudder and it was trimmed. Not bad for an AFR that had a few "straighness" issues.

I dont think the CG is too aft at this location but it is pretty neutral...maybe a bit too much so. 117mm from the LE may really be better.

With no mixing, KE flight with left rudder is just about perfect though it pitched to the top a little with right rudder. Downlines are straight with only a slight pull out. Uplines require a little left rudder....I think the right wing is heavy or it's got too much right thrust for my liking. Inverted needs just a little push. The plane slows nicely for landings but you run out of elevator control as it slows. I think the stab is undersized.

With a 12-5 on the OS50 the plane has to be flown fast or you run out of vertical, engine screams like crazy even though it's rich (I should have tacked it). We'll try a 12-6 tomorrow.

Generally I think there's lots of potential for pratice up to advanced but it will need more grunt or will have to be flown fast. We'll experiment with props until we get the best performance.

We put 4 flights on it today. My son (10) flew all but the trim flight and is thrilled with his first Pattern plane.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96007.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	1168219   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35327.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	1168220   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ku61757.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	160.4 KB