RCU Forums - View Single Post - Hyperion J3 Cub 25e - Scaling it out...!
Old 04-05-2009, 06:01 AM
Friday_2006

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hyperion J3 Cub 25e - Scaling it out...!

Greetings to everybody.

7 months ago i decided to buy the Hyperion J3 Cub 25e, as my first balsa airplane. It is a plane that enjoy very much, and relaxes me, after all the tension my E-flite AT-6 Texan gives me.

As i advance to low wing birds, i had in mind to retire my cub and take out its electronics to use them in another model. But i gave it another thought and saw a chance to do my first try to some kind of rebuild.

My intentions are to scale out my cub as my skills permit. My inspiration came after seeing Hangar 9 Cub and all the detail it got. what i want to fix are the following

1. I want to replicate this paint scheme. Its not the same model as mine, but i think it would not be so hard for me to do it, as i haven't done any work like this before.
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Untit...ext_id=1402983

2. I think i have a great difficulty on how am i going to do the cowl, as the one i have is painted yellow, and i can't find a clear one.

3. I want to replicate open doors like this photo (glued or moving with a servo)
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Untit...ext_id=1069769

4. Easy part will be the tail wheel, which i think i ll use a robart or sullivan

5. I want your thoughts about main landing gear, as i want to be very close to scale. (I know Robart has some scale cub wheels, but they are too big for my model)

6. Rebuilt the wing struts, as the ones i had were balsa and flat. I think of using carbon rods on this one.

7. Adding those cables that are going from vertical fin to elevator surface, which i have no idea where i can find them

8. As for the cockpit, i ll study the inside of the fuse so as to built a cockpit box consisting of glued photos and a dummy pilot. E-flite Pawnee has a nice chair, which i think of using.

It seems to me like climbing Everest, but i will commit on this project. It is highly likely that this one will take me long, but at the end i hope to have a great looking plane.

I ll post some pictures of how the model is now, and every phase of the rebuilt.

I ll need all of your knowledge about building and market places. Hope i ll have you with me, all way long, for an outstanding outcome.

Wish me luck

Thanks for joining