RCU Forums - View Single Post - Outlaw with webra .36 problems
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2009, 06:43 PM
newflyer
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Outlaw with webra .36 problems

OK,
Just got finished trying all three mouse cans mufflers. First was the one we built with the 1/4" outlet pipe. ( thats the one that is painted black). Started the motor let it warm up for anout 30 seconds at idle the run the motor up and at half throttle the motor supttered and wouldn't get up on step. I shut the motor off and checked the high speed needle and it is 1 turn out from closed. I reset it to the same 1 turn out and tried it again to make sure. Same result. Tried the next can with the 5/16" outlet pipe. (The middle can). Started the motor let it idle for 30 seconds then stabbed the throttle and the motor jumped up to full throttle in about 2 seconds!! I shut the motor off and let it cool down for a little while then put the third can on the motor with the 3/8" stinger ( the one on the right)and fired it up. The motor started good and once it ran for a couple of seconds I stabbed the throttle and it went to full throttle in 2 seconds as well. The whole time I was doing this I had a friend holding the plane while it was setting on a stand. My friend told me that the motor felt like it had slightly more pull on the last pipe with the 3/8" stinger. We took the plane outside so we could tach the two new cans. We started with the one that had the 5/16" stinger on it. the tach reading was 13,700. We tried the second one with the 3/8" stinger and my friend was right we hit 14,200 on it!! That was all without touching the high speed needle. Now I may be too lean on the high speed but I need to do a little more testing with a good temp gun and moving the high speed needle while the motor is running. The needle is really close to the prop so I am a little weary of getting my fingers too close to the prop spinning at 13,000-14,000 rpm! Here is a couple of pictures of the three pipes setting next to each other. I will try to sand and paint the two new ones this weekend if possible. Got a lot of Spring honey do's to get done so that I can get to the field and fly soon.
1-Fuel not the problem!
2-Prop not the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3-Tank not the problem!
4-Fuel filler line not the problem!
5-Placement on the pressure nipple not the problem!
6-Carb not the problem!
7-Needle on carb not the problem!
8-Glow plug not the problem!

Too small of outlet stinger THE PROBLEM!

Now remember I replaced the motor once not because it wouldn't get on the high side but because it would not start and when it was turned over by hand with a prop on it you could feel a REALLY tight pop at the top of the compression stroke. The motor was like that the moment we took it out of the box! I haven't taken the head off of the motor to see what it is nor do I think I will. I will ship it back and ask for a refund or will ask the seller to give me credit for it and but something else from him that cost more. I know he is a small business and it really sucks to make a sale then have someone send something back and ask for their money back. I own a small business and know what that is like! I will get the can on the motor and get the plane back together and run the motor with a temp gun and let you guys know if I am too lean or if there is more RPM to squeese out of the motor. I will try several more props on this plane and let you know what they do as well. I am a little iffy about running a wooden prop at 14,000 RPM balance or not. If you guys have used any wooden props that you can let me know about and what the RPM was I would feel a lot safer about trying one on this motor.

If you are going to make a tuned mousse can for a webra .36 be sure to use a 3/8" stinger on the end so that you don't have to go though this mess..

Newflyer (not really anymore)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21360.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	1186550   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81384.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	1186551   Click image for larger version

Name:	In25951.jpg
Views:	15