View Single Post
Old 04-26-2009, 12:00 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Newbie to Gas General Information

ORIGINAL: flyalot

Bob,
I have a question. What is the proper way to drill and mount a propeller. On my glow engines I always position the propeller for easy flipping ie engine just coming into compression and the prop at about 3 oclock. The answer should be obvious, but to me it isn't. Two of my engines do not have holes for extra bolts, the other two have three holes for bolts. Joe
There are a few different techniques for this, I'll just outline my preference. I like the prop to be just before compression, and at an angle that allows good leverage for flipping, without being worried about the upcoming blade. For me, that works out to the blade being around 1-1:30 to 7-7:30. To figure out where that is on a multi-bolt hub, I turn the engine to just before compression really gets tight, and then put a small mark on the prop washer, indicating blade location on both sides of the washer.

If you have a drill jig for the engine, and a drill press, align the marks with blades, mark through the holes of the washer. Install the jig from the back side of the prop aligning the holes. Drill.

If you do not have a drill jig, mark the holes on the back of the hub using the washer, then drill using it as a guide (if you have a drill press).

If no drill press, I carefully mark holes on both front and rear for drilling, and try to drill half way through. Turn prop over, drill remaining part of the holes. Rebalance after drilling.