View Single Post
Old 05-07-2009, 01:30 PM
RamItOn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Reason for not upgrading to 2.4

ORIGINAL: onewasp

tankertoad,

YOU are quite misinformed !!!!!

Spektrum reboots faster than you can click a stop watch.
It was a problem for a very few (those who didn't size batteries properly or who don't check their systems prior to flight, though I have only read of it. I have NEVER seen it nor have we had it occur locally. We still have generation one {firmware}Spektrums flying daily.

I fly a full load of high end digitals and have done so since they came out!
NO PROBLEM. We have a 35% Bipe flying DX7 and all digitals on 4.8Volts without problems (I happen to use A123)

Seriously, I feel that the problem is with the operator in your case____simply the way it computes
You have been at this 4 years according to your profile so some reading is in order for you.
I don't wish to seem overly harsh to someone so new to the hobby, but you simply have neither the credentials nor the experience to make a radio system judgment.

Look up XJet and go to his site on 2.4GHz and study it. He is an RF Engineer who is also an RC'r That is an unusual combination!

I will post back with the exact site so that you can get up to date. Even then you will need to keep reading as you can't define SS in a few pages. It is unique. It is the state of the art in RC.

Edit addition: Here is the link I promised: be certain to click forward at the end of each page.
http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/spreadspectrum01.shtml

Here also is a link on the Quick Connect Firmware update (note the date. This is over two months AFTER it was first available:http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_70...tm.htm#7080754

Yet another site: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1038506

The links provided by onewasp give an excellent description of spread spectrum. Unfortunately for onewasp, the links provided also offer a couple of qualifiers that work against his barrage of insults to us "lay people:"

1) Of course if you ask enough people you're bound to find someone who has had problems with almost any brand of radio, and these new 2.4GHz systems are no better.
It's well worth remembering that we're still dealing with first-generation equipment here so there will inevitably be teething troubles and issues that need to be addressed. Indeed, both JR/Spektrum and Futaba have already faced some of these problems but things now appear to be quite stable.

2)It is true that you can't be shot down by another 2.4GHz radio control system but there is still always a chance that other forms of interference can cause you to lose control of your model. The 2.4GHz band is used by a very wide range of other electronic equipment from wireless internet to microwave ovens. There's no guarantee that one of these other devices won't interfere with your RC set.

I've been told by several people in the telecomm industry that, in some cases, microwave systems used for SCADA and process control don't use part of the 2.4 GHz bandthe systems use the ENTIRE BAND. At this point, wouldn't the symptoms be the same as if 72 MHz systems on identical frequencies were being used (erratic control or complete lockout)?

Thought I'd contribute to the discussion (and provide another target for onewasp. Bring on the ad hominem attacks).

-RamItOn