RCU Forums - View Single Post - Reason for not upgrading to 2.4
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2009, 04:21 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Reason for not upgrading to 2.4

ORIGINAL: RamItOn

2)It is true that you can't be shot down by another 2.4GHz radio control system but there is still always a chance that other forms of interference can cause you to lose control of your model. The 2.4GHz band is used by a very wide range of other electronic equipment from wireless internet to microwave ovens. There's no guarantee that one of these other devices won't interfere with your RC set.

I've been told by several people in the telecomm industry that, in some cases, microwave systems used for SCADA and process control don't use part of the 2.4 GHz bandthe systems use the ENTIRE BAND. At this point, wouldn't the symptoms be the same as if 72 MHz systems on identical frequencies were being used (erratic control or complete lockout)?

Thought I'd contribute to the discussion (and provide another target for onewasp. Bring on the ad hominem attacks).

-RamItOn
As for item 2 I live in a complex that has three wifi towers to provide service for residents that live in metal mobile homes. My 2.4 systems work just fine in the midst of all of this. I have set my system in front of the microwave ovens I have access to and they never missed a beat even when I managed to cheat the door interlock and operate the microwave with the door open.

I worked in the telecom industry but I must confess I don't know what SCADA is. As far as process control, it would seem to me that you would have a requirement for a very short range. It would be uneconomical to use high power. I certainly don't know why you would need the whole band. If you need high power for process control over a long distance I would think the prudent thing to do is go to 900mhz where you are permitted higher power. Otherwise the FCC might frown on your operation