RCU Forums - View Single Post - Raptor 39V2 with Gasoline Fuel
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2009, 02:21 AM
greg_m

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Raptor 39V2 with Gasoline Fuel

Hi Guys - very interesting thread as saving money these days is good in any way.

I was wondering though why no-one has tried a diesel engine in a heli - run it on parrafin or kerosene as you guys call it!!

Diesels are very torquey motors so they would hold the rotor head rpm constant much more readily...

Has anyone tried running a glow motor on kero? It is naturally oily fuel so you would probably not need so much oil.

The other side of the coin is long term engine damage - I mean like increasing the heat/stress operating conditions of the running parts of the glo engines...any comments on this aspect.

If I take the current exchange rate I am paying about USD32 per five litres of 15% morgan green fuel. The TT Raptor 39 seems to fly for about 20 mins on a tank full of fuel although being a beginner at heli's I am not doing much more than hovering exercises with the occasional small tail in square or circle!

Five litres of 95 ULP would cost arond USD 4.50 and the oil about USD 3.00 - so the use of alternate fuel makes sense but not at the cost of short engine life!!!

I only need to drive about 10 miles to buy the glo fuel so access not a prob for me