RCU Forums - View Single Post - Best radio for helicopters and airplanes?
Old 03-29-2002, 01:55 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best radio for helicopters and airplanes?

Originally posted by amcross
Respectfully, Mike, have you held and used the new 9C?
I haven't used it to any significant degree, but I did handle one in the hobby shop a couple weeks ago. Want to know how to win my business? Give me gimbals and switches that feel as smooth and solid as those on my 8103.

* faster/easier programming with the dial for quick changes
That might make the initial setup slightly faster, but I'm not out there making huge changes to my models once I've set them up. A few percentage points here, a few there. I don't need a dial to do that any faster.

* functional trainer mode where the student can fly, for example, a 10 servo aerobat with full mixing, etc, even though the student has only a simple 4 channel trainer box
You know, that might be a great feature for someone wishing to demo an advanced model to someone, but it simply isn't a selling point to me. I'm your average modeller. If I'm working with a student I get out my 6 channel box with an old 4 channel hooked up to it, and teach them on a plane appropriate for a student.

My reality is that most of my time with the radio is spent with it in my hands, and me flying one of my models. For that, I want the radio that feels the best. Obscure features that I won't use don't make the sale. They may be great for magazine ad copy, or for a side by side comparision, but they fall short when it comes to going out to the field and flying the airplane.

If someone's time at the field is spent in the pits because they can't get the settings right, then yes, they should choose a 9C.