RCU Forums - View Single Post - Throwing up will make you sick!
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2009, 11:11 AM
whitecrest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Throwing up will make you sick!

I prefer hand launching and also like to use the landing gear for landing. The flat-launching technique works very well for me. Also, I have found that using a neck strap for the transmitter helps a great deal with the hand launch. It lets me easily one-hand the motor throttle up just before the throw. My models are somewhat over powered, so I rarely need full throttle for more than adequate takeoff thrust. I have not experienced any problems with torque rolling during launch. I am wary of changeable wind conditions on the field that could possibly result in a launch that is not directly into the wind.

I have had good luck using the GWS type, thin, suspension 2.5" wheels and 1/16" inch wire for planes weighing about 19 oz. This landing gear is practically invisible aerodynamically (and visually once airborne). I use a beefy torsion block to anchor the gear in the plane, and this has never failed despite some fairly hard landings. I place the landing gear well forward of the wing leading edge which helps a great deal to avoid tipping. I like the extra protection the gear provides for the propeller in addition to that provided by the prop saver.

I usually fly at a local complex of soccer and baseball fields, and the grass is usually about 2" high. Generally, the plane with stay on the wheels unless it finds an area where the grass is very long. If it does tip, it is usually for just a second and very gently before it's back on the wheels. Usually, during the summer, a few browned out areas appear on the field, and landing there on the wheels is usually routine.
I avoid landing on or taking off from baseball infields or the dirt track because I have had pyrite sand particles attracted into motors.